Coldest Night of the Year Walk for Youth Haven in Barrie raises over $80K
Courtesy Barrie360.com
By Newsroom, February 28, 2026
There was a chill in the air, but hearts were warmed by the enthusiasm shown by several hundred people who took part in the Coldest Night of the Year Walk (CNOY) in Barrie on Saturday evening.
Over $82,000 was raised, with money still coming in.
“This is such a generous community we live in,” said Lucy Gowers, Youth Haven executive director. “They have stepped up with Youth Haven and walked alongside us on our journey.”
Individuals and teams from local businesses, service clubs, schools, churches, and unions participated in the event, which started and ended at the City Hall rotunda, taking people on a 2-km and 5-km walk through downtown.
Gowers said funds raised from the walk will go toward programs and services at Youth Haven, such as case management, crisis intervention, health care, education assistance, housing assistance, and employment assistance.
Last month, Youth Haven began another chapter by opening the doors to a new emergency shelter on the same property as the former facility, in partnership with the Simcoe County Homebuilders’ Association.
Construction and launch of the $1 million campaign began in October 2024.
The new residence has more than 30 beds for youth between the ages of 16 and 24, up from 19 in the former facility.
Coldest Night of the Year Walks for various charities were also held in Alliston, Bradford, Collingwood, Gravenhurst, Huntsville, Innisfil, Midland, and Orillia.
More information: https://en.cnoy.org/home
